Winter driving poses numerous challenges and dangers, from getting stuck in deep snow to ghastly auto accidents.
If you live in a snow-prone region, a pair of good winter tires isn't a luxury but a basic need. Unlike summer tires, winter tires are built with a special rubber compound that can withstand low temperatures and grip wet surfaces adequately.
Choosing an excellent pair of winter/ snow tires is vital in improving your driving in harsh winter conditions.
Driving through ice and snow with inferior winter tires is both dangerous to your life and may damage your car.
Avoid all these risks by investing in a pair of good, high-quality snow tires with excellent grip, traction, control, and braking power.
Of course, you can Google the best winter tires for your car, but why bother when you can get a comprehensive, in-depth review of the best snow tires from tire industry experts.
This post will cover the following,
- The top nine best snow tires
- Comprehensive product review.
- Buyers Guide and FAQs
- Final thoughts
Let's jump right in.
Our top nine best snow tire picks.
Here is an in-depth review of the ten best snow/winter tires based on their performance and features
The Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 Winter/Snow Passenger Tire 225/65R17 102 H
Take control of your driving in harsh winter weather with the superior Bridgestone Blizzak ws90 tires. The Blizzak WS90 boasts excellent braking power, great ice and snow traction, superior cornering, and perfect acceleration in ice and snow.
Here are a few features that make the studless Bridgestone Blizzak ws90 perfect snow and winter for you.
- It features a directional and symmetric tread pattern that improves traction and promotes even tire wear, meaning longer tire life.
- Increased block stiffness of tire treads improves the tire steering response, especially during cornering.
- Bridgestones EdgePerformance Technology includes interlocking sipes and full-depth features perfect for the rough and tumble of winter driving.
- The unique tread pattern increases the Blizzak ws90's contact area and 15% more tread block edges than the Blizzak WS80, improves ice traction, and reduces braking distance.
- Multicell compound with bite particles evacuates water between the tire and road surface improving traction and grip.
- Silica enhancements in the 3D zigzag sipes increase ice grip and block stiffness, improving overall tire performance.
- Excellent braking in both wet and dry roads.
- Superior performance in both snow and ice roads
- Great traction on icy roads
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Winter Radial Tire - 215/55R16/XL 97H
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Winter Radial Tire - 215/55R16/XL 97H
- This 3rd generation X-Ice winter tire provides the necessary traction to safely overcome...
- The MICHELIN X-Ice Xi3 tire provides winter performance with MICHELIN MaxTouch...
- The MICHELIN X-Ice Xi3 is also designed to be environmentally friendly to help reduce fuel...
The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is a terrific snow warrior and allows you to enjoy a smooth, comfortable ride even in the worst of winter. Low rolling resistance, a comfortable ride, and excellent snow and ice performance make the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 a worthy winter tire for everybody.
The Michellin X-Ice is the third and latest version of Michelin ice and snow tires and tocks innovative features, cutting-edge technology, and superior performance.
Here are a few features of the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires.
- Multidimensional cross Z sipes improve tire handling even on icy surfaces.
- Advanced block edge technology improves grip on snow and ice conditions.
- Micropumps on the tire surface absorbs water improving tire traction.
- FlexIce, a new silica-based rubber technology, improves the Michelin X-Ice braking distance.
- Innovative teardrop-shaped vertical sipes improve grip during acceleration and braking, perfect for high-speed handling.
- Maxtouch construction contains a unique contact patch that evenly distributes weight, reducing tread wear.
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3 uses superior engineering to improve rolling resistance leading to greater fuel efficiency and less C02 emissions.
- The longest tread life among winter tires(60000km treadwear guarantee)
- Excellent acceleration, braking, and cornering on snow and ice
- Quiet and comfortable riding experience
- Environmentally friendly winter tire with a great fuel efficiency score
- Worse braking than other premium winter tires.
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 235/40R19 96V Passenger Tire
The sleek Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tire is a premium product perfect for high-end luxury models. The wide grooves, double arrow groove pattern, rounded shoulders, deep grooves, and superior engineering technology make the Pirelli sotto zero 3 a perfect winter tire with high performance for luxury cars.
Pirelli produces superior and high-quality tires using advanced tire engineering technology. The Sottozero 3 has superior traction in snow and ice, low fuel consumption, and a perfect steering response. Here are a few great features of the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires.
- Superior 3D siping technology improves traction and grip in harsh winter conditions.
- Large circumferential grooves coupled with rounded shoulder blocks increase water evacuation and reduce hydroplaning.
- A double arrow tread pattern increases the road contact surface, which improves steering response, traction, and grip, especially during cornering.
- Special polymers infused in the Sottozero rubber improves its mechanical, thermal, and dynamic properties.
- Twin steel belts reinforced with spirally bound polyamide bands strengthen the Sottozero 3 internal structure, making it resistant to cuts and tears.
- The Pirelli Sottozero profile guarantees an even footprint, ensuring that the tire wears out more uniformly.
- Deep grooves allow greater water dispersal, slush, and ice improving traction in loose snow, rain, and mud.
- Smooth, comfortable, and quiet ride
- Perfect traction and braking on snow, ice, water, and slush
- Good dry traction, braking, and accelerating on cold surfaces.
- Poor treadwear performance
Firestone Winterforce 2 UV Winter/Snow SUV Tire P265/75R16 114 S
Drive with maximum comfort and pleasure this winter with the studded Firestone Winterforce U2 winter tires. Using superior cold compound moulding technology, the Firestone Winterforce is a trusted and dependable tire for trucks, SUVs, and crossover cars that need grip and traction in deep snow, icy roads, and muddy paths. The Winterforce sports the 3 peak mountain snowflake designation meaning it's a tried and tested tire.
The Firestone winterforce continues with Firestone's excellent tradition of manufacturing dependable, agile, and strong winter tires. Here are a few features of the firestone winterforce U2 winter tires.
- Deep circumferential grooves coupled with open shoulder slots and wide lateral notches help flush water, slush, and loose ice, reducing hydroplaning and improve snow traction.
- Innovatively designed directional tread patterns increase the tire-road contact area improving tire grip in ice and snow conditions.
- Numerous 3D sipes infused in the Winterforce tread profile provide thousands of biting edges for extra grip on ice and snow.
- Full-depth tread features ensure adequate traction on ice and snow.
- The Winterforce internal structure is strengthened with twin steel belts on a polyester casing, improving the tire's ride quality and strength.
- Hardened interlocking shoulder blocks elements provide grip when cornering, which improves ride stability.
- Molded with a special cold rubber compound with the perfect grip on wet and cold roads
- Excellent wet and dry performance
- Superior grip and traction in ice and snow
- Accommodate studs that improve the tire's performance in snow, ice, and wet roads.
- Poor all-season performance
- Poor ride experience on wet highway/ pavement driving.
Cooper Evolution Winter 225/65R17 102T Tire
Cooper Evolution Winter 225/65R17 102T Tire
- Car and SUV Winter Tire
- Excellent performance in variable winter conditions, and outstanding deep snow traction
- Studdable for improved ice traction
- Severe weather rated
- Standard Limited Warranty
The Cooper evolution is a dedicated winter tire that incorporates Cooper cutting edge tire technology and superior rubber compounds to deliver the quietest and most comfortable driving experience on snow and ice while maintaining maximum safety. The Cooper Evolution sports the three-peak mountain snowflake mark, reinforcing its high safety standards in snowy conditions.
This dedicated snow tire uses symmetrical treads, deep tread depth, angled siping, and snowphobic elements to create a superior winter tire. Here are a few of its awesome features
- A circumferential saw tooth centre rib helps the evolution cut through ice and maintain surface contact with the road at all times. This improves the tires steering and handling abilities.
- Multi angled corrugated sipes strategically staggered on every tread block of the Cooper Evolutions surface improve the tire's grip and traction in deep ice and snow.
- Snow groove technology promotes ice on ice bonding in the tire's grooves which improve grip during braking and cornering.
- The Cooper DEvoultion features stud pin holes for optional stud installation during heavy snow or ice driving.
- Rigid tread blocks attached to the centre rib and strong outboard shoulders provide improved lateral grip, steering response, and better handling.
- The Cooper Evolution features deep and wide grooves which provide exceptional hydroplaning resistance and is one of the best winter tires for driving on wet roads.
- Quiet and comfortable driving experience
- Excellent traction on snow and ice
- Great handling and steering response
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV Performance Winter Tire - 235/55R20 102R
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta is a sleek, studless SUV winter tire made for the nordic winters. It features strong aramide sidewalls to prevent cuts, 3D optimized sipes for greater traction and state of the art cryo crystal 3 particles that improve grip on slippery icy roads.
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires perfectly balance safety, comfort, and efficiency whenever driving on packed snow or snow-covered roads due to their superior design and engineering.
Here are a few features of the Nokian Hakkapeliita R3 SUV tire.
- Arctic sense grip technology which features customized sipes, allows this tire to adapt its grip on different road surfaces.
- A new superior quality rubber compound infused with innovative cryo crystal 3 renewable bio-particles acts as built-in studs that enhance the tire's grip on slippery roads.
- Strong aramid sidewalls protect this winter tire from impacts and cuts.
- State-of-the-art tread compound combines with a lightly rolling tread pattern to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel efficiency.
- Circumferential high tensile steel belts strengthen the Nokians internal structure making it resistant to bending during impact.
- Features the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol proving its effectiveness as the best winter tire for SUVs
- Rigid shoulder blocks boost longitudinal and lateral grip in deep snow.
- The Nokian Hakkapeliitta structure is light and tough, allowing for easier handling even in high-speed situations.
- Innovative snow claws between the tread blocks improve grip and traction during braking and acceleration.
- Excellent grip and control on icy roads
- Reduced rolling which promotes better fuel efficiency
- Short braking distance, especially on wet asphalt
- Low noise levels and improved ride quality
Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 Winter Radial Tire - 265/60R18SL 110R
The Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 snow tire is a versatile, stable ice ninja that can tackle all forms of ice and snow-covered terrain. This tires feature superior nano fit technology, steel-reinforced internal structure, large tread block, and innovatively designed sipes, and they will get you home no matter the state of the road.
The Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 is perfect for a broad range of passenger cars and SUVs. Here are some of its excellent features.
- Nano fit technology introduces special silica-infused rubber compounds that provide a more flexible grip and promote tire adherence to the road surface.
- Numerous micro sipes featuring the Miura-ori design improve tire traction on ice and snow. The spies increase the biting teeth of the tire on the road.
- Maxx's sharp edge technology combines a dynamic directional tread design that improves the Dunlops winter Maxx performance on the road.
- Four wide circumferential grooves coupled with open shoulder blocks reduce hydroplaning g resistance and improve steering response.
- High blade density reduces block distortion and improves the tread-to-ice contact.
- The Dunlops internal structure is fortified with a two-ply polyester casing with twin steel belts encased in a polyester cap to improve ride quality and comfort.
- The bite edges and siping features combine seamlessly to strengthen the tread blocks, which distribute weight more evenly that reduces tire wear.
- The Dunlops winter Maxx j8 boasts the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol meaning that it's tried and tested to conquer the harsh winter snow-covered roads.
- Long tread life due to the advanced nano-fit technology
- Comfortable and quiet ride
- Improved internal structure due to superior twin steel belts.
- Excellent winter weather traction
- Reduced braking and accelerating response in hard-packed and deep snow.
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 Winter/Snow SUV Tire 225/60R17 99 S
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 Winter/Snow SUV Tire 225/60R17 99 S
- Confident Stopping Power On Snow And Ice
- Reliable Handling In Winter Conditions
- Bite Particles For Impressive Traction On Ice
- Backed by Bridgestone's Winter Tire Limited Warranty
- Next-Generation Multicell Compound Next Generation Multicell Compound With Hydrophilic...
The Bridgestone Blizzak DM combines advanced Nano ProTech Multi-Cell compounds, directional tread patterns, and 3D zigzag sipes to create a strong, versatile snow and winter tire.
The Bridgestone Blizzak DM -V2 is a versatile winter tire that uses advanced tire technology, innovative features, and high-quality materials to create winter tires that perform excellently in winter weather.
Here are the features of the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires.
- Nano Pro-Tech technology features a hydrophilic coating boasting numerous bite particles that provide traction on ice and snow.
- Extra-wide lateral circumferential grooves, directional tread patterns, and a multi-z centre pattern combine to reduce hydroplaning resistance and improve the tire's grip on wet surfaces.
- 3D zigzag sipes increase biting edges on the Bridgestone Blizzak DM- V2 improving traction and steering during cornering, braking, and acceleration.
- Unique multicell compounds with microscopic pores help remove the water film that forms between the tire and wet surfaces, improving grip.
- Increased block edge rigidity improves the tire's performance in snow and ice-covered roads.
- Excellent road traction on ice and snow
- Great braking, accelerating, and cornering performance
- Superior maneuverability, steering, and handling in all road conditions
Continental Tires VikingContact 7 245X70R17 Tire - Winter/Snow, Truck/SUV
The continental Vikingcontact 7 is built with silica-infused rubber, advanced tread compound featuring canola oil, specially moulded groove patterns, interlocked block bridges, solid linkages, and innovatively designed sipes that improve traction and grip on the road.
This studless winter tire offers unparalleled handling, excellent acceleration, braking, and steering response on all kinds of winter weather roads, from deep snow to ice and wet surfaces.
Here are a few features of the continental vikingcontact7 tire.
- Multiple 3D sipes strategically staggered on the tire surface provide improved road traction and grip.
- A canola oil-infused tread compound provides additional flexibility and adaptability on snow and wet surfaces.
- Silica enriched rubber compound coupled with the improved void ratio ensures that the rubber to road contact is always maintained while steering and control response is improved.
- Interlocked block bridges and solid linkages increase tread stability and improve evacuation through the grooves.
- Unique variable size sipes and grip edges combine to improve grip and traction during cornering, acceleration, and braking.
- Perfect grip on ice, snow, and slush
- Innovative groove patterns and 3D sipes improve steering response and traction on slippery roads.
- Quiet compared to other winter tires.
- Excellent braking, accelerating, and cornering on ice and snow
Buyers Guide and FAQs- consider the following factors when buying snow tires.
Snow tires are special tires used in low winter temperatures and on roads with poor grip and traction due to ice, snow, or water.
Snow tires use special rubber compounds, unique designs, and innovative features to conquer the difficult winter road conditions and provide a safe, comfortable, and effective driving experience.
Using ineffective or defective tires on ice and snow-covered roads is dangerous and may lead to accidents, vehicle damage, or fatalities. Thus, the choice of snow tires is crucial during winter driving.
Unfortunately, all-season tires don't do well in cold weather because the rubber becomes stiff at low temperatures and reduces surface-to-road contact, making winter driving very dangerous for you.
Here are a few features of a great snow tire.
Tread size and design
Snow tires sport open, deep treads with a high void ratio that allows water evacuation from under the tire surface and improves traction. Additionally, unidirectional treads composing of lateral grooves improve hydroplaning resistance and water dispersal.
Sipes are thin slits cut in the treads of winter tires and act as small biting teeth that improve traction and grip on the road with a low coefficient of friction. Good snow tires feature multiple sipes, which assist in water dispersion and improve acceleration, braking and cornering on ice and snow-covered roads.
Shoulder blocks refer to the outermost blocks positioned where the sidewall and tread meet. Effective winter tires feature rigid shoulder blocks with a uniquely designed tread that provide strength, traction, and grip when cornering and steering.
Winter tires operate at low temperatures and thus need special rubber compounds that remain soft always. Most winter tires are infused with silica, canola oil, or other special oils that reduce hardening at low temperatures. Hydrophilic compounds further improve the effectiveness of winter tires by ensuring that water evacuation from the tire is improved.
Good winter tires feature the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol, which means that it's tried and tested under vigorous and extreme conditions and are deemed to be excellent for winter driving. Winter tires which don't feature this symbol may be inappropriate or underperform in winter driving.
Snow tires are integral for your safety and comfort during winter driving. A great snow tire should be durable, efficient, and be fairly priced.
There are many winter tires available in the market today, and every driver should endeavor to own a set of excellent winter tires to them through the winter season safely and comfortably.
Use this in-depth snow tire guide to choose the right winter tire that fits your car and needs.